4. You might think that our love of lists could be pinned on the Ten Commandments, but Umberto Eco says otherwise. “The list is the origin of the culture,” he once said on a subject he knows well, having written a book titled “The Infinity of Lists.” And culture wants “to make infinity comprehensible” and “to create order — not always, but often,” hence Homer’s catalogs in “The Iliad” and the roll call of never-completed household chores on my fridge. “We like lists because we don’t want to die,” Mr. Eco also said, which is the best explanation of the listicle that I’ve yet read.
6. n. 莴苣，生菜，纸币
1. More than 350,000 gamers from across Europe (and some from North America and Asia) have made the annual pilgrimage to the quaint German city of Cologne, which has a population of just over 1 million. Activision used the convention to debut its multiplayer gameplay for Sledgehammer Games’ Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare, allowing attendees hands-on access to the November 3 release.
2. 你可能觉得我们对于列清单的爱好是从“十诫”继承而来，但安伯托·艾柯( Umberto Eco)的说法却正相反，“清单是文化的起源”，他写过一本书，《无限的清单》(The Infinity of Lists)，书中在讨论自己熟悉的东西时这样说道。而且，文化希望“让无限变得可以理解”，并且“创造秩序——不是永远如此，但通常都是这样”，所以才有了荷马在《伊利亚特》中的人名清单，以及你冰箱上贴着的，永远做不完的家务清单。“我们喜欢清单，因为我们不想死，”艾柯还说，这可能是对“清单体”(listicle)的最佳解释了。
3. 都不是。1772年,一场空前的危机击中了阿姆斯特丹：一家受人尊敬的荷兰投资银团对不列颠东印度公司(British East India Company)股票的投资变成了一场灾难。
5. Will Smith had a very successful career in the late 80s and early 90s as the second half of rap duo DJ Jazzy Jeff and the Fresh Prince. But in spite of his financial success, Smith did not manage his money well. It's a pretty classic tale, really. New fame, lots of money, no future plans, and lots of fancy toys added up to a lot of overspending. This lack of oversight and fiscal irresponsibility landed him on the brink of bankruptcy. He owed the government back taxes that he had not paid.
6. Last year he told an interviewer that 'among others' he would be giving his riches to Choupette.
1. Nothing tops the insensitivity and stupendous lack of awareness as Lohan's insensitive post five months ago.
2. The mattress comes with sensors inside the bed that can detect pressure and send messages to the app, which spares no details. The app not only detects movement on the bed, but also records the intensity and speed at which people are getting it on.
3. Sohmers所推出的这个产品，可谓将高速运算能力和低能耗集为一体。Sohmers表示：“除了电子工程师外，我认为我还是一位创业者。我相信，我所作的工作，将会对整个世界产生重要的影响。”Sohmers在几年前从高中辍学，加入了Peter Thiel创立的创业加速器20 Under 20 Thiel Fellowship。2011年，在其他同龄人都在准备考大学的时候，Sohmers开始学习编程。他获得了10万美元的种子资金，并且跟随硅谷中一些著名的技术人才进行学习。Sohmers曾在麻省理工学院研究实验室进行工作和学习，研究从增强现实眼镜到激光通信系统的任何东西。也是在那里，他见到了REX的另一位联合创始人Kurt Keville。但是在他正式进入麻省理工学院研究室之前，他的父母似乎并不太支持他放弃学业。
4. 而传统主义者诸如乔治·克鲁尼（George Clooney），他因影片《逃离德黑兰》（Argo）获最佳影片奖以及在影片《辛瑞那》（Syriana ）中获最佳男配角，他的奥斯卡奖杯放在家中的书房。达斯汀·霍夫曼（Dustin Hoffman）曾在1980年因影片《克莱默夫妇》（Kramer vs. Kramer） 、并在九年后因影片《雨人》（Rain Man）两次获最佳男主角奖，也将其奖杯放在书房中。
5. The first view is that the price is inherently cyclical. What has come down must go back up again and the deeper the trough the higher the next mountain.
6. 9.Use One Planner
1. If you don't, you need to trade Boogie Cousins and all those veterans you signed over the past two offseasons.
Back in the movie wasteland of last January, no one could have guessed what a bounty of good films the year would bring. Not just good films, but several that measure up to our idealized notions of what the medium once was. Two candidates for the top of the heap pretty much chose themselves. For sheer entertainment, the clear call is 'American Hustle,' David O. Russell's joyous celebration of 1970s-era con artists and their intricate cons. For innovation-a new theatrical experience born of new technology-'Gravity' whirls in its own orbit. With the understanding that there's nothing to be said against 'American Hustle,' and everything to recommend this screwball comedy for the ages, I think 'Gravity' is the best movie of the year.
Strachan says that he believes that the IP-BOX uses the same method employed by the FBI to unlock the iPhone 5c used by Syed Farook, without Apple's help. The FBI is now offering to help other law enforcement agencies seeking to unlock an iPhone, iPad or Apple iPod touch. Apple is trying to discover how the FBI unlocked the phone so that it can issue a software update to close the vulnerability.
In a closely fought debate about the six shortlisted titles, one judge described Mr Ford’s book as “a hard-headed and all-encompassing” analysis of the problem. Lionel Barber, FT editor and chair of the judging panel, called The Rise of the Robots “a tightly written and deeply researched addition to the public policy debate”.