2. Benito Mussolini and Adolf Hitler are case studies of demagogues turned into despots.
3. 这其中包括麦肯锡(McKinsey)。去年10月，这家咨询机构的500多名高级合伙人汇聚伦敦格罗夫纳豪斯酒店(Grosvenor House Hotel)，启动了神神秘秘的领导层选举程序。下一阶段涉及该公司550名高级合伙人于1月对鲍达民(Dominic Barton)继任者的候选名单进行投票，之后在2月份对两名人气最高的候选人进行第二轮投票。鲍达民自2009年起执掌麦肯锡。
4. “What happens if one of these Airbnb guests starts a fire?” asked Phyllis H. Weisberg, chairwoman of the Cooperative and Condominium Law Committee at the New York City Bar Association. “Who’s paying for that?”
6. Law firms will lead the pack, with 30% expecting to add staff. Paralegals with four to six years' experience are in particular demand, as are attorneys who specialize in "lucrative areas like litigation, health care, bankruptcy, and foreclosure law," the report says.
1. n. 监督，管理
3. At least 120 million American voters had been expected to cast votes in the race between the Democratic incumbent and Romney after a campaign focused on how to repair the ailing U.S. economy。
1. Emma Morano’s singular achievement in life may have been perseverance. She lived for 117 years, crediting her longevity to raw eggs and her lack of a husband. She died on April 15.
2. Written instructions apparently issued by China’s tourism administration, shown to the FT by one Beijing travel agent, order agencies to cancel group tours to South Korea booked for after March 15 and add that companies not in compliance could be fined or have their licences revoked. The tourism administration was not immediately available for comment.
3. 节目37 相声《东西南北大拜年》，赵炎 逗笑 逗乐 大新等
4. Friends wasn't known for being the most diverse show on television at the time, since the cast was comprised of almost entirely white actors. None of the main characters were anything other than "mainstream." Even the acknowledgement of Ross's first wife Carol being a lesbian was met with jokes about sexuality (mostly from Joey), and sexist comments were frequently incorporated into the script.
2. The infectious disease known as scarlet fever famously reached pandemic proportions in the 19th century, striking down the young and the weak across the Western world.
5. "There's a new type of wealth creation coming out," he told Reuters, adding China was having to adapt as the wider economy was "very materially slowing down".
6. Accelerating price growth for new housing in cities across China lost more steam in November amid a flurry of purchasing curbs in major cities, though price gains from a year earlier remained comfortably in double-digit territory.
2. Actuaries put a financial value on risk for instance, the chances of a hurricane destroying a beachfront home or the long-term liabilities of a pension system. In a world awash with risks of the natural and manmade variety, the profession is booming, says Tony Lee, publisher of CareerCast.com. In addition, he says, 'there's a severe shortage of actuaries, ' so wages are rising. (The median salary for actuaries in 2010 was $87, 650, according to the Labor Department.)
3. South Africa's leader Jacob Zuma got a 4% raise in March, but his salary in dollar terms has actually dropped compared to last year, because of the fall in the south African rand.
“My manifesto with Summly was to get our technology into as many users’ hands as possible,” Mr D’Aloisio said, pointing to Yahoo’s hundreds of millions of users. “With Yahoo’s reputation as a content portal, we have an opportunity to fundamentally change the way content is consumed.”
New Year should be a time of banked-up fines, the scent of flowers and wine, good talk, good memories and loyalties renewed. But if all else is lacking - love will do.新年是这样美好的时光：炉火熊熊，花儿芬芳，醇酒飘香，殷殷祝福，美好回忆，恩爱日新。即便没有一切，只要有爱便足矣。