1. This makes China the country with the second most number of universities included in the Global 400 Subjects, according to the QS rankings. This is only after the United States, which has 164 universities included in the Global 400 subjects. The UK comes third at 78 universities.
1. CANCER: THE EMPEROR OF ALL MALADIES (PBS, March 30) Barak Goodman (“Scottsboro: An American Tragedy,” “My Lai”) is the director and Ken Burns is an executive producer of this six-hour series based on the Pulitzer Prize-winning book “The Emperor of All Maladies: A Biography of Cancer” by Dr. Siddhartha Mukherjee.
2. Foreigners with permanent residence enjoy the same rights as Chinese citizens, such as in investment, housing purchases and schooling, among other rights.
4. Chinese exports rose at more than twice the rate expected in November, boosting the country’s trade surplus.
5. A devastating financial crisis led business owners and corporate executives to be especially wary about adding staff or investing in new equipment. Some worry about risks from Washington or overseas. Others are seeing consumers maintain their slow-but-steady spending, providing little incentive to deploy their cash stockpiles.
6. But in year-on-year terms Xiamen prices grew at the second-fastest rate of 43.9 per cent, outdone only by Hefei, capital of Anhui province, which grew 47.6 per cent. Annualised prices once again rose in 65 cities and fell in five, suggesting that while the cost of housing may not be escalating as quickly as before, it remains widespread and relatively resilient.
2. Rana Foroohar
3. No. Football punditry is a mug’s game. Better to have the benefit of hindsight. There have been 20 previous World Cups. Of those, Brazil (five titles) and Germany (four), are regular contenders. Home advantage helps, with host nations winning the trophy six times. But next year’s festival of football is being held in Russia, which has the lowest-ranked team in the tournament.
4. 200911/88512.shtmlA 1936 Nobel Peace Prize discovered at a South American pawn shop has been sold at auction in Baltimore for $1.16 million.
5. If he wins the primary, he would face off against first-term Republican Gov. Phil Scott, 59.
6. The big winners over the past year in Arizona were the construction and leisure/hospitality industries, which both added more than 10, 000 jobs. Other fast-growing sectors include business services, financial activities and education and health services.
1. Inga Beale出任伦敦劳埃德保险公司CEO，Mary Barra 出任通用汽车高级副总裁，这些都为2013年的女性地位写下了浓墨重彩的一笔。接下来的一年，女性地位还将继续发展，但进展会缓慢而微小，但你一定能随处看到女性的权力和影响力。再怎么说，就连日本都开始鼓励女性工作了呢。
Steven Spielberg directs Meryl Streep and Tom Hanks in The Post, a thrilling drama about the unlikely partnership between The Washington Post's Katharine Graham (Streep), the first female publisher of a major American newspaper, and editor Ben Bradlee (Hanks), as they race to catch up with The New York Times to expose a massive cover-up of government secrets that spanned three decades and four U.S. Presidents. The two must overcome their differences as they risk their careers - and their very freedom - to help bring long-buried truths to light.
Last year was the hottest on earth since record-keeping began in 1880, scientists reported on Friday, underscoring warnings about the risks of runaway greenhouse gas emissions and undermining claims by climate change contrarians that global warming had somehow stopped.